|Fae Name||Rowan Raith|
|Freehold||The Freehold of Turtle Bay|
Rowan looks like a quintessential selkie, short and soft of build, with a youthful face, dark hair, black eyes, and a freckled complexion. A young nonbinary person of mixed ethnicity, they wear their hair past hip-length and typically dress in black and in varying configurations of gendered attire, usually with something of a gothic, piratical streak. They're never seen without their black seal fur cape. There's something about their face that seems innocent and unsuspecting, even though their Unseelie nature says otherwise.
To those who knew their mother, Rowan looks like a younger version of her, albeit with a different demeanor and fashion sense.
- 2000 - Rowan Raith is born Kinain in the vicinity of New York City. As a young child, they are exposed to the Changeling world.
- Their mother, Jessie Raith, is a Seelie selkie well known and regarded in certain circles for her warmth and loyalty. She doesn't give Rowan a particularly gendered name or pronouns, leaving her child to figure that out for themself.
- 2007 - Jessie disappears into the Dreaming, leaving Rowan to be raised by their grandmother.
- Rowan clings to their birth name and, as they grow older, evidently has no intention of changing their pronouns.
- 2016 - Rowan starts performing at open mics and writing songs, some of which find their way onto the Internet. Even without perfect technique, their alto voice and the strange sense of profound longing and sadness in their singing stand out as unusual, especially in someone their age.
- March 15, 2018 - Grown into the spitting image of their mother, Rowan undergoes Chrysalis as a selkie; they claim to have discovered a sealskin kept among their missing mother's belongings.
- They join the Unseelie court in a move that surprises many who knew their mother.
- Jessie's sealskin was silver-white; Rowan's black coat and melanistic seal form appear to indicate a different sealskin than their mother's.
- Later in the year, Rowan briefly disappears from much of Changeling society; they re-emerge already an Errant, seemingly angry and embittered over something they haven't disclosed to the public at large.
- 2019 - Rowan takes to traveling around the United States and even other parts of the world on occasion for the first time. They still base their life out of New York, however.
- At a party all the way out in Ibiza, Rowan meets Erzulie Daniels, the Tyrant's Voice of Turtle Bay. Ironically, they both live primarily in the same city.
Rowan Raith is a selkie of many hats. They sing, both in live gigs and on moderately-sized Internet platforms, they moonlight as a professional merperson in warmer months, and it's said they've been found engaging in some sort of pirate performance in another part of the country. They live in New York, but they don't seem as attached to the place as they are to its proximity to the sea. While some say Rowan is a romantic, and they certainly seem intense and passionate when they aren't existing in a state of languorous melancholy, they haven't made any such relationships public. For a performer, there sure is a lot they don't seem to share. Maybe it's the burden of their mother's Seelie legacy, and the need to run away from it?
- Rowan is the first mate on an honest-to-gods pirate ship.
- Rowan is really just Jessie Raith, turned too cynical for the Seelie Court and taking on a new identity as her child to avoid the burdens of their previous existence. After all, who actually witnessed Jessie undergo her ritual?
[Feel free to contribute your own!]
Edit Rumors: Add your own!
"Come away, o human child! To the water and the wild with a faery, hand in hand. For the world's more full of weeping than you will ever understand." - W. B. Yeats, The Stolen Child
[Feel free to contribute your own!]
Edit Quotes: Add your own!